Scarf sizes are so diverse that there is, literally, a size for everyone. These little lengths (or large swaths) of fabric that we wrap about us for warmth, comfort, stature, elegance or frivolity are a broad canvas for the Bead Artist. Scarves, bandanas, mufflers, shawls, stoles, capes, wraps, throws and blankets of all sizes are suitable for beading.
Scarf size measurements vary among designers; even traditional sizes will vary depending on hemming technique or whether the measurements include the trim.
Our beadwork concepts equally apply to shaped scarves moving beyond the square or rectangle, to a jabot or collar, a cravat or caplet, or a swag, a cape, or a coat. The delight of sewing your own scarf is the option of making it any size (or shape) you like.
- Bandanas & Neckerchiefs - commonly 22"x22" (56x56cm) squares of cotton, but can be of any fabric.
- Shawls - rectangles (generally length is 1-1/2 times the width) or large squares folded as triangles.
- Stole - presumed a rectangle significantly longer than it is wide and well covers the arms and shoulders.
- Wrap - fully wraps the figure, generally twice the length of the width.
- Throw - often an oblong at least an arm's breath 50" (127cm) wide.
- Blanket - as wide as the manufactured goods allow.
The list below describes some familiar Scarf sizes.
|22 x 22 inches||56 x 56 cm||25 x 25 inches||64 x 64 cm||36 x 36 inches||91 x 91 cm||44 x 44 inches||112 x 112 cm||Oblongs|
|6 x 24 inches||15 x 61 cm||8 x 54 inches||20 x 137 cm||11 x 48 inches||28 x 122 cm||11 x 60 inches||28 x 152 cm||12 x 60 inches||30 x 152 cm||15 x 60 inches||38 x 152 cm||14 x 72 inches||36 x 183 cm||22 x 72 inches||56 x 183 cm||27 x 70 inches||69 x 178 cm||28 x 78 inches||71 x 198 cm||36 x 80 inches||91 x 203 cm||44 x 72 inches||112 x 183 cm||50 x 72 inches||127 x 183 cm||58 x 108 inches||147 x 274 cm|
return to top of Scarf Sizes